The next general election will be held in October, 2021 The term of office for Councillors, beginning in 2017, is four years.
The Alberta Municipal Affairs website has information for anyone interested in community leadership, and particularly for potential new Councillors. Read more....
Current Councillors are:
Steven Marusiak - Deputy Mayor
- Elected to Council in 2017
- Elected to Council in 1989, 1992, 1995, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013 to 2017
- Elected to Council in 2019
- Elected to Council in 2017
Planning & Finance
A Strategic Plan is formulated by Council with public input, to be a guiding document in making decisions and setting priorities. The most recent Strategic Plan is available in pdf format at the bottom of this page. The general goals in the plan are:
- The Village effectively communicates its attractions and businesses to residents and visitors.
- Holden promotes and markets itself including events and tours.
- The Village builds on its identity as an arts hub.
- Holden is noticeable from the highway.
- Holden has visual appeal and is an attractive pit stop.
- Holden annual events explore new ideas every year to expand, diversity, and stay fresh.
- Tourists feel welcome at Village events and want to attend more.
- The Village Council and Administration explore options for seniors housing.
Budget: The annual operating and capital budgets are approved by June of each year. The tax rate is based on the annual budget, and a Tax Rate Bylaw is passed.
Property Taxes: Tax and Assessment notices are mailed near the end of June, and the due date for property tax payments is the Tuesday after Labour Day. Penalties for non-payment include 18% on current in September (Wednesday after Labour Day), and 18% on total balance on January 1st.
Payment Plans: A tax payment / installment plan may be started at any time. Contact the Village office at 780-688-3928 to inquire about making monthly payments.
Meetings and Committees
- Regular Council meetings are held on the third Monday of each month, at 7:00 pm in the Village Office boardroom (enter through the back door).
- [If any meeting falls on a Monday that is a holiday, the meeting is moved to Tuesday of the same week.
Members of the public are welcome to attend any Council meeting.
If a person, or a delegation, wishes to address Council on a specific issue:
- Contact the Village Office at by 12:00 noon on the Thursday of the week before the meeting (agenda deadline);
- Put your request in writing; and
- Include enough information to allow administration and Council to prepare for discussion.
MAYOR & DEPUTY MAYOR:
The Organizational Meeting is held in October of each year. The Mayor and Deputy Mayor are appointed at this time, for a one year term.
Councillors and members-at-large from the community are appointed to various boards and commissions each October. Theses boards include:
- Battle River Alliance for Economic Development (BRAED)
- Beaver Ambulance Society
- Beaver County Victim Services Board
- Beaver County Inter-Municipal Committee
- Beaver Emergency Services Commission
- Beaver Foundation
- Beaver Regional Partnership Committee
- Beaver Regional Waste Management Services Commission
- Farmer's Day Planning Committee
- Heritage Resources Committee
- Highway 14 Regional Water Services Commission
- Holden Agricultural Society
- Holden Community Hall Association
- Holden Economic Development Committee
- Holden Historical Society & Museum
- Holden Library Board
- Holden Neighborhood Watch
- Kalyna Country
- Northern Lights Library System
- Viking/Beaver FCSS
- Other committees, as needed
For a full list of current appointments, open the PDF attachment below.
See also the "Organization Chart" document below, for a diagram of the lines of authority and reporting within the Village of Holden local government.